Posts Tagged Novel
William Cook ‘Blood Related’ Review
Written by: Drake Morgan
William Cook’s Blood Related delves into the mind and dark psychology of a serial killer named Caleb Cunningham. The story centers around Cunningham and his family who have all been connected to a series of brutal murders over a number of years. The story begins with a psychiatric overview and then progresses to Caleb’s version of events.
The format of the narrative is interesting in that it makes not two shifts, but several. The first chapter is a first-person perspective from a court appointed psychiatrist. Through her, we get a very rough overview of the Cunninghams. We learn that there are twin brothers, both deeply psychotic and sinister. The psychiatrist examines Charlie during the course of a trial, but then becomes heavily involved with Caleb. We learn that Caleb is the true monster and the bulk of the narrative then becomes Caleb’s diaries, journals, and psychiatric sessions. Later chapters shift again to a series of newspaper articles giving the reader a final summary of the events that Caleb’s first-person account misses. The novel closes with a series of letters from Caleb explaining his motives and leaving the reader and his doctor with a cryptic goodbye.
Caleb’s story is fairly straightforward. Abused as a child, he’s described as “evil,” “one of the most dangerous men alive,” and the like. Cook’s writing is fluid and descriptive, but Caleb’s exploits take on mythological proportions as the story progresses. Cook goes to great length in his research of abnormal psychology. He skillfully uses the terminology and psychiatric evaluations to create an authentic element to the narrative. Caleb’s excesses are in stark contrast to the realism in other areas and it’s a jarring juxtaposition at times.
As a study in dark psychology, Blood Related is an interesting tale. Cook does an excellent job grappling with the disturbed mind. Psychiatry struggles with the abnormal that goes beyond the human comprehension of evil. Cook takes on the challenge of this struggle and handles it well. A more subtle handling of Caleb’s story would have added a great deal to the psychological framework. Definitely worth a read for the insight into a twisted mind.
grab it here!
‘Blood Related’ by William Cook has just been released on Amazon for Kindle. Print release to follow shortly. Please choose ‘tags’ on the ‘Blood Related’ Amazon page and make sure you share it via Twitter or Facebook. Thankyou for your patience and support. Hope you all have a great start to the New Year. Much appreciated.
Blood Related, Blood Related by William Cook, Danielle Tunstall, Dark Literature, Fiction, Guy N Smith, Horror Fiction, John Paul Allen, Jonathan Nasaw, Laid Barron, Mard Edward Hall, Nicholas Grabowsky, Novel, recommended, serial killers, Thriller Fiction, William Cook, Writing
Check out my article/review I did of John Paul Allen’s fabulous book, ‘Monkey Love.’
Angelic Knight Press: William Cook – BLOOD RELATED, debut Novel to be released November
Angelic Knight Press is excited to announce that William Cook, a very talented author, poet, and artist/ illustrator from New Zealand will be gracing us with his presence in the form of his fantastic novel “Blood Related” which we are slating for release in November. We have to take advantage of the holiday season sales mania!
Yvonne, Stacey, and I are in love with this chilling horror, mystery tale. William sent us a very polished Ms. Below is a portion of the synopsis sent to us by him.
Meet Caleb Samael Cunningham, a diabolical serial-killer with an inherited psychopathology, passed down via a blood-soaked genealogy. Caleb is a disturbed young man whose violent father is a suspected serial killer and mother, an insane alcoholic. After his Father’s suicide, Cunningham’s disturbing fantasy-life becomes reality, as he begins his killing spree in earnest. His identical twin brother Charlie is to be released from an asylum and all hell is about to break loose, when the brothers combine their deviant talents.Blood Related is a serial-killer/crime novel told in a first-person narrative style from the killer’s (Caleb’s) point-of-view.
Need I say any more? Later, I will, but for now this should give you a vivid idea of what to expect with this great novel. As for the cover art, William asked if he could do his own. He is quite an accomplished artist so I naturally said yes. We can hardly wait to see what he will present to us.
We feel very fortunate to have William joining us. Angelic Knight Press is not the only publisher interested in publishing this novel. We won!
Keep tuned for more information, dates, etc. Exciting times for all of us!
- RT @mrmojorisin2912: Jim Morrison photo by Linda McCartney. #Jimmorrison https://t.co/fpVEiKVATa 1 month ago
- 📷 zdzislawbeksinski-art: Untitled (?) Zdzislaw Beksinski tmblr.co/ZNxBRx2d_wuwb 1 month ago
- 📷 montgomeryspooks: Christine (1983) dir. John Carpenter tmblr.co/ZNxBRx2d_wuQt 1 month ago
- lukasredwater: tmblr.co/ZNxBRx2d_wpOc 1 month ago
- 📷 classichorrorblog: Suspiria Directed by Dario Argento (1977) tmblr.co/ZNxBRx2d_wnBq 1 month ago
- #FF #free #Thriller Amazon Angelic Knight Press Anthology author Black Bed Sheet Books Blood Related Blood Related by William Cook Blood Related review Book Trailer carl Hose Colleen Wanglund CyrusFiction Productions Danielle Tunstall Dark Literature Death Quartet Edward Lee Examiner.com Facebook Fiction Gabino Iglesias Goodreads Good Reads Guy N Smith Halloween Halloween IV horror Horror Fiction Horror Fiction Review Indie Interview Jack Ketchum James A Moore John Paul Allen Jonathan Nasaw Kindle Kindle Book Review Kindle Book Review Semi-finalist 2012 Laid Barron Laird Barron Mard Edward Hall Marilou George Mark Edward Hall Neil Davies Nicholas Grabowsky Non-fiction Non-fiction books about Serial Killers Novel Prize! Publishing quotes Readers recommended Research Review Reviews RJ Parker serial killers short fiction Sonia Fogal The Everborn Thriller Fiction Todd Brown Uncategorized Vincenzo Bilof what people say about Blood Related William Cook William Malmborg WordPress Wrath James White writer Writing Youtube